The University Social Responsibility Network (USRN) has identified the month of October as the “USR Month”. USRN member universities around the world will demonstrate and highlight their commitment to social responsibility by showcasing their social responsibility activities during this month.
Through the USR Month campaign, universities affiliated to the USRN will be able to learn from each other’s USR initiatives as well as to motivate other universities outside the USRN to strengthen their USR initiatives. Ultimately, it is hoped that there will be increased awareness of USR, propelling a USR movement in the global higher education sector.
(Video produced by: University of Pretoria)
The theme of the USR Month Campaign at BNU is “Sustainable Community”. Baige Youth Volunteer Association, an influencing student association at BNU, organized two types of programs to help its community to become more sustainable. One focuses on environmental protection and another focuses on care for the elderly, especially the retired staff of BNU.
Protect Our Common Home
A series of activities were launched during October to strengthen the community members’ attention to environmental protection.
- Student volunteers made a water quality investigation into Dayangfang River and report its water quality to the relevant sectors and the public.
- Baige members gave environmental protection lectures to primary and middle school students in the neighborhood.
- Student volunteers organized a campus activity to collect old clothing, waste paper, expired medicines and any other recyclables. Meanwhile, they designed interesting science popularization games to help other students learn more about environmental protection.
- Volunteers improve the environment by planting flowers in the campus and community.
Memoirs of Glory
Several student volunteers went to the community to accompany and have talks/interviews with the retired faculty and staff of BNU.
- After several talks/interviews, students wrote down the stories they have heard about as well as their personal reflections on the stories. They then made a memoir of glory and posted the articles on the WeChat Official Account for Baige Association.
- The program aimed to call on community members to care for the elderly in our community and learn from their life experiences. It also built up a platform for young students and the retired faculty and staff in our community to communicate with each other.