Nurturing “socially responsible global citizens” is one of the educational aspirations of The Hong Kong Polytechnic University (PolyU). PolyU is committed to equip our graduates with the capacity for understanding different cultures and social development needs in the local, national, and global contexts; and groom their social, national, and global responsibility.
PolyU’s service-learning programme, an international award-winning module, is an experiential learning pedagogy that integrates meaningful community service with academic study and reflections to enrich students’ learning experience. Our Leadership Academy for Responsible Global Citizenship provides an education platform on issues of civic responsibility and leadership, in a cross-cultural and boundary-crossing setting.
To share PolyU’s educational aspiration with students from our global partner universities, the “Global Student Competition 2022: Leadership and Serving the Community” is launched to invite student applications, to offer a “Study Opportunity at PolyU for the Leadership Academy and Service-Learning”.
Who is eligible?
- You must be a full-time undergraduate student from a member university of the Consortiums & Networks that PolyU engages with (please refer to the PolyU Network & Consortium list).
- You have led / organised / participated in social and community project(s). The project(s) can be local, regional or international; and
- You should have sufficient English proficiency for presentation and discussion. (please refer to the Terms and Conditions section below for preferred English language proficiency).
Mode of Competition
This competition is open to individual participants only. Students are required to submit an essay (no more than 1,000 words) or a short video (no more than 5 minutes) showcasing their social commitment and community participation, on either of the following themes for an entry:
| ||Theme||Submission Deadline||Result Announcement|
|Theme 1||Leadership for Future World||15 April 2022||By early May 2022|
|Theme 2||Serving People with Knowledge||15 May 2022#||By end of May 2022|
All application materials must be in English.
Participants must register through the online Registration Form and submit the essay file/ video link in accordance with the instructions written in the form, before the deadline of respective themes.
The selection will be based on the quality of submitted essay/video to meet the following criteria:
- Student’s aspiration to serve the community;
- Student’s motivation and action to improve the well-being of people and communities; and
- Student’s creativity to provide practical solutions in tackling societal challenges.
Theme 1: Leadership for Future World
All winners will be accepted to PolyU International Summer School 2022 with 2-course enrollment. One course from the Leadership Academy for Responsible Global Citizenship: One World Our World (13 June – 13 July 2022), and the other course from the Summer School Main Session (14 July – 20 August 2022).
- First Prize (1 awardee): To join the Leadership Academy plus the subject “Service Leadership” in the main session with full sponsorship (equivalent to HK$18,000)
- Second Prize (1 awardee): To join the Leadership Academy or 1 subject “Service Leadership” in the main session with full sponsorship (equivalent to HK$9,000)
- Third Prize (2 awardees): To take 1 subject “Service Leadership” in the main session with 50% tuition wavier (equivalent to HK$4,500 each person)
- Outstanding award (4 awardees): To take 1 subject “Service Leadership” in the main session with one-third of tuition wavier (equivalent to HK$3,000 each person)
* For Programme Fee, please refer to PolyU International Summer School 2022 official website.
Theme 2: Serving People with Knowledge
All winners are eligible for enrollment of a semester full-time study at PolyU during the academic year of 2022/23 under one of the government-funded bachelor’s degree programmes with (1) the enrollment in one designated Service-Learning subject in acquiring the structural training in applying their academic knowledge to serve people, and (2) a guaranteed University-managed Accommodation with subsidized room rate for the study period. The winners will be registered as Study Abroad students during the semester with a study load of 9 to 18 credits which is equivalent to 3 to 6 undergraduate courses.
- First Prize: One Full tuition fee* waiver to have one semester study at PolyU
- Second Prize: One 50% tuition fee* waiver to have one semester study at PolyU
- Third Prize: One 25% tuition fee* waiver to have one semester study at PolyU
* For full-time government-funded Bachelor’s Degree schemes / programmes in the 2022-2023 Academic Year, a tuition fee of HK$ 145,000 is charged for 1 Academic Year, or HK$ 72,500 for 1 Semester.
Terms and Conditions
*Please refer to the Competition webpage.
Global Engagement Office
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University